Clogged drains can be a big problem which can literally stop the whole household for that particular day. As they say, you take it for granted till it is gone. It is the same case when it comes to pipes. It keeps getting dirty and one day when it doesn’t work anymore, we start panicking. Isn’t it better to take care of it while it is still working and before matters worsen over time?
Let us take a look at some things you shouldn’t be flushing down the drains.
- Food particles: Grains, vegetable slices, tea leaves and food particles like these should not be passed through the pipes. These go and get stuck inside. This results in your drains to clog.
- Oils and fats: If you are non-vegetarian and eat fish or meat oil, make sure you don’t throw it down the pipe. Oil accumulates in the pipes. It wouldn’t have an immediate effect but it will surely block your pipe in the long run.
- Hair, baby wipes and tissue papers: You shouldn’t be flushing hair, wipes, sanitary napkins down the drain. This can damage your pipe which then needs a plumber.
- Bottle caps, razors, needles: Any kind of sharp object can be both fatal for your pipelines and for sewage. Make sure you don’t flush razors, sharp objects or caps down the drain.
- Paints, solvents, glue: Paints can be really bad for your pipelines and drainage systems. Don’t flush out paints, adhesives, oils down the drain. Rather, find out better ways to dispose them off.
- Keep your drains and pipes clean. You can take safety measures like use pipe filters to keep the dirt and particles away.
- Don’t treat your pipe and drains as a garbage box. You can rather use different ways of disposing off the waste that has accumulated in the pipelines and drains.
- If you have children at home, teach them the importance of a proper drainage system. Teach them not to flush out their toys or other things down the drain. They are innocent and don’t know so you have to be responsible regarding them and their actions.
- It is always better to avoid hair in the pipelines. So, make sure you brush your hair before you get into the bathroom. You can also cover your hair if you are not washing it. This reduces the chances of hair accumulation.
- You can wash and bathe your pets outside to avoid fur and hair to clog the drains.
- It is always good to take help of plumbers in case you can’t fix the problems. At times, just to save some money, we take up the business in our hands and make the problem worse. Call them and get the problem fixed in minutes.
It is good to be aware of things that you use on a regular basis. You should be well informed about the whole mechanism to avoid any pipeline problems.